The following is a list of useful links on this and other related information:
- 50-Mile Hikers - http://50-milehikers.ning.com - website with information on the original 50-mile hike, past participants and the place to join in the discussion and share your memories.
- 50-Mile Hike Phenomenon - http://wp.me/p24c40-5 the full story of the original 50-mile walk fad, including how it got started, how it spread, and how it is still alive today.
- FreeWalkers - http://freewalkers.org - an organization started three years ago by Paul Kiczek that organizes long distance walks in the Northeast.
- JFK 50 Mile Run - http://www.jfk50mile.org - an annual recurring, grueling 50-Mile trail race that had been run for years in Washington county, MD. Said to be the oldest continuous 50-mile event in the U.S. (Must qualify to register. Usually occurring in mid November - e.g., November 17, 2012)
- One Day Hike - http://onedayhike.org - two non-competitive hikes (62 and 31 miles - 100 and 50 kilometers are coordinated on the same day each year along the C&O Canal Towpath sponsored by the Sierra Club. (Registration is limited. Usually occurring in late April).
- Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park - link to the National Park and detailed information about the trail used for this walk. The C&O Canal towpath is a very popuar recreation resource located just outside of Washington, D.C. Its historical towpath provides a great flat trail for hikers and bikers.
- JFK Presidential Library - a rich resource of information for everything related to John F. Kennedy and the Kennedy family.
- LIFE Photo Archive by Google - a rich visual archive of the Kennedy era and more.
- RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights - learn more about Robert F. Kennedy and his life.
- Walk of the World/Four Days Marches (The Vierdaagse) - one of the largest and oldest organized, annual walks taking place for the 97th year. A good example of the international popularity of walking.
- Kennedy-Mars Sittard - Holland Kennedy March. The largest and oldest Kennedy Walk each July.
Regional Hiking/Walking Groups
Metrohiker - email broadcaster of events relating to hiking events. metrohiker@
AMC/DC = Appalachian Mountain Club’s Washington, D.C. Chapter (www.amc-dc.org)
Capital = Capital Hiking Club (http://www.capitalhikingclub.
Center = Center Hiking Club (www.centerhikingclub.org)
HCG = Howard County Group of Sierra Club’s Maryland Chapter (including directions to trailheads) (http://www.maryland.
- MCM = Mountain Club of Maryland (http://www.mcomd.org/